10 Sports Savers Every Mom Should Have in Her Bag
My boys are nine and eleven years old, and they love sports.
Actually, they just love being active. My youngest taught himself how to do a round-off back handspring in my living room by watching an approved YouTube video. Seriously, I probably need to get him in a gymnastics program before he breaks his neck!
Over the last few years, I've learned (the hard way) that essential oils can be a perfect compliment to busy, athletic boys. Here are some of my favorite ways to use them!
1. Minor Skin Irritations
Let's face it. If you're an athletic boy, accidents will happen. We recently spent the night at the ER because my youngest son (seeing a pattern here??) cracked his head wide open. He had been told NOT to slide down the railing, but, of course, did it anyway, fell, and landed on concrete. Can you say "two staples in the head?" Yep.
Of course, we were quick to let the doctor help us through that crazy night, but other times the results are much less of an emergency. It's good to know that most common kinds of skin irritations caused by an active lifestyle can be cared for at home.
- Lavender is super soothing when applied to the skin (dilute first for children).
- A combination of lavender, frankincense, and melaleuca mixed with fractionated coconut oil in a small spray bottle can be perfect way to calm the skin after a tumble on pavement.
- When the boys get in to weeds they should stay away from, doTERRA's Elevation blend helps comfort their skin.
- doTERRA's Purify can help soothe away irritations from pesky bug bites.
2. Occasional Aches and Pains
- Our boys both enjoy pitching. During the first few practices of baseball season this year, it was still quite cold at night, so my husband layered Deep Blue Rub, on their pitching arms, and made them wear long sleeves. This blend is a powerful way to massage away minor aches and pains, and support muscle function.
- To help massage muscles after a game, try layering lemongrass under the Deep Blue Rub.
I don't like putting bug sprays on my children's skin. I've read too many reports on the negative side effects of the DEET in them, so I choose to cover their skin with TerraShield instead.
Yuck! Do your boys' cleats start smelling as yucky as mine? Try using a drop of the Purify blend to purify the air and get those babies smelling more tolerable!
5. Queasie Tummies
If your boys get a case of the nerves before a big game, or ate too much of the wrong kind of food while on the road, peppermint can help alleviate occasional stomach upset (one drop in the mouth can also help tame bad breath...something, IMO, active boys need more help with than most).
6. Seasonal Discomforts
Rub lemon, lavender, and peppermint on the bottoms of feet to help provide seasonal relief...much needed when spending lots of time outdoors. Put a couple of drops of lemon oil in your glass water bottle to provide a natural cleanse or soothe an irritated throat.
7. Promote Healthy Skin
Melaleuca can help soothe minor skin irritations and promotes a clear, healthy complexion (great to use before you apply your makeup, or after your boy washes his face before the game).
8. Support His Immune System
If your kiddos are six and over, have them take an On Guard beadlet with breakfast every day to support healthy immune function and protect against environmental threats that may be present in other members of the team (If not, simply rub some on the bottoms of his feet).
9. Keep Fresh Breath!
Need to freshen your breath while you're at the game? Let a peppermint beadlet pop in your mouth!
10. Fight the Funk
Baseball/Football/Soccer cleats smell like something curled up and died in there? Purify eradicates unpleasant odors and clears the air.
Bonus for Mom!
Need to keep yourself from losing it during the excitement of the game? Serenity promotes calming, relaxation, lessons tension, and calms emotions (yes please!).
Those are my top 10 tips for taking care of active, athletic boys (and their mamas) with essential oils! If you're ready to take the plunge, and bring these amazingly useful oils into your home, click here to learn how!
Those are my top 10 tips for taking care of active, athletic boys with essential oils! If you're ready to take the plunge and bring these amazingly effective oils into your home, click here! I can't wait to tell you everything I know!